DCS is excited to share an opportunity for businesses and local churches to partner with DCS and Degage Ministries on our Purple Backpack Project. We believe local businesses, churches and schools can play a crucial role in aiding the neediest amongst us.
The backpacks will include items designed to combat the wind and cold, and most importantly, to keep individuals dry. Some of the supplies included will be waterproof outerwear, mummy sleeping bags, hats, gloves, thermoses, and more. To maximize the effectiveness of our campaign, distribution of some items (hand and feet warmers, personal hygiene items, undergarments, instant coffee and soups) will be on an ongoing distribution schedule throughout the winter months.
Ways YOUR business, congregation or school can make a difference!
- Hosting a Purple Backpack Project donation box for and asking your staff/clients/congregation to donate new or gently used winter items (email firstname.lastname@example.org for a list of items most needed)
- Purchase supplies from our Amazon wish list here or our Target wish list here and have them shipped directly to DCS
- Hold a special offering or host a collection can to collect funds for Purple Backpack Project
- Invite a member of DCS to speak in front of your staff or congregation on the needs of homeless individuals in Kent County
- Provide volunteers to assist at our distributions on November 17th and December 22nd taking place at Heartside Park
- We would love to hear your ideas on how your business or church can contribute
If interested in gaining further details and specifics on how to help, please contact Wendy Botts at wendy@dirtcitysanctuary or by phone at 616-250-6423.