DCS is excited to share an opportunity for local resturants to partner with DCS and Degage Ministries on our Purple Backpack Project. This project will provide potentially life saving essentials and comfort items to assist the homeless population in Kent County, MI survive the upcoming winter months.
The backpacks will include items designed to combat the wind and cold, and most importantly, to keep individuals dry. Some of the supplies included will be waterproof outerwear, mummy sleeping bags, hats, gloves, thermoses, and more. To maximize the effectiveness of our campaign, distribution of some items (hand and feet warmers, personal hygiene items, undergarments, instant coffee and soups) will be on an ongoing distribution schedule throughout the winter months.
Ways YOUR restaurant can make a difference!
- Provide portions or all aspects of a hot meal to feed approximately 100-150 homeless during one of our Saturday distribution events at Heartside Park beginning in November (suggestions include hearty soups and bread or other hot items your restaurant specializes in)
- Provide volunteers to serve meals during our Purple Backpack Project distributions
- Make a donation directly to the Purple Backpack Project (insert link here)
- Hosting a Purple Backpack Project donation box inside your restaurant where patrons are able to donate new or gently used winter items (email: firstname.lastname@example.org to host a donation box and for a list of items needed)
- Purchase supplies from our Amazon wish list here or our Target wish list here and donate them directly to DCS
- Host a fundraiser where members of DCS speak about the needs of the homeless in Kent County
- We would love to hear your ideas on how you and your staff would like to contribute
If interested in gaining further details and specifics on how to help, please contact Wendy Botts at wendy@dirtcitysanctuary or by phone at 616-250-6423.
When you contribute to the Purple Backpack Project, 100% of your donation goes to filling backpacks!